Monday, May 12, 2014

I have 'spinster' written on my bones

I started thinking about this the other day when a lady I know said she got married when she was my age. The idea was absolutely crazy to me! When I was little and feeling lovelorn, I would think, 'well, when I get to my late teens I'll have a boyfriend. That's when you get one.' But obviously it didn't work out that way. I have never once been kissed, never once been on a date, never had any boy show any romantic interest in me of any kind. (Ok there was once when I was like 7 and he was 9, and I hated him and he never even made any attempt to get me to like him, and about two years later he informed me that he was 'SO OVER' me, and now he's gay.)

It's so weird to me that most people have at least one thing they could call a romance in their lives. I hear a lot of Baby Boomer age women talk about how when they were in highschool guys were all the time fighting over them, and all I can think is 'how does that even HAPPEN??' The notion of being attractive to boys totally baffles me.
By now I have absolutely no desire to ever have a romance, but it wasn't always like that! Let's take a look at my attempts at flirtation throughout my life.
























(Screenshots copyright their respective owners)

Well that may explain a few things.

At least my bears will always love me!




This is Jeeves. I got him in a freebies box at a garage sale. he has magnets in his paws so as to hang from metal fixtures.




2 comments:

Jackie Distel said...

I am pretty much the same way. There were only two times where a guy tried to ask me out. The first was in 8th grade and I said no because I wasn't allowed to date until I was 16. The second was in my senior year of high school. There was a boy who I was kind of friends with that asked me out. I said no because I didn't feel that way about him. Honestly, I never really had any interest in wanting a boyfriend. Heh, I would probably make a lousy girlfriend anyway since I don't like to talk all that much and my idea of fun is simply staying home and drawing. Lol

Anna MacArthur said...

Who needs 'em?! XD